Home Page | Top of Page
The History of the Naval Academy
The History of the Name
The Naval Academy was founded in Portsmouth Royal Dockyard in 1733 for the education of young naval officers. It was regarded from the beginning with intense suspicion by serving naval officers, who believed the best way of learning the profession was by going to sea at an early age. After closing down in the 1770s it was revived by the Admiralty, and in 1806 was renamed the Royal Naval College.
It was housed in a splendid specially designed building in the centre of the Dockyard, alongside the official resident of the Commander-in-Chief. It remained there until the college was transferred to Greenwich in 1873.
The new Naval Academy
The Naval Academy was launched in October 2000 by the Royal Naval Museum, to encourge the study of naval history. A range of lectures and seiminars is offered, designed to appeal to those currently serving the the Royal Navy and to those with an interest in history and the development of the Senior Service.
For further information, please contact:
Visitor Services Manager
Royal Naval Museum
HM Naval Base (PP66) Portsmouth
Telephone Number: (44) 023 9272 7583
The Royal Naval Museum is a Registered Charity : No 266563
Created on the 29 October 2003