FUNDING THE FLEET IN WORLD WAR TWO
During the Second World War (1939-1945), cities, towns and villages organised “warship weeks” to raise money to meet the cost of providing a particular naval ship. The aim was that cities would raise enough money to pay for the battleships and aircraft carriers, and towns for cruisers and destroyers. Small towns and villages were set a figure relative to their size, and would attempt to raise the required funds.
Once enough money had been raised for the ship, the local community would adopt the ship. Local organisations, women’s institutes, churches and schools would also provide additional comforts for the crews of the ship they had adopted. This was usually in the form of woollen socks, gloves and balaclavas. Children would often write letters and send cards to the crew. When possible, officers and men from the adopted ship would visit the local community, and to celebrate their visit, there would often be a parade.
The Royal Naval Museum holds the adoption plaques of the following ships:
HMS Barfoss (Boom Defence Vessel) Hindley, Lancs.
HMS Forth (Depot Ship) Stirlingshire
HMS Lupin (Sloop) Whitefield, Lancs
HMS Maidstone (Depot ship) Maidstone
HMS Oberon (Submarine) Basingstoke
HMS Olympus (Submarine) Peterborough
HMS Scott (Minesweeping sloop) Peebleshire
HMS Sealion (Submarine) Guildford
HMS Tigris (Submarine) Newbury
HMS Traveller (Submarine) Leyton, London
HMS Tudor (Submarine) Bridgend
HMS Ursa (Destroyer) Hendon, London
HMS Usurper (Submarine) Stroud, Gloucs.
HMS Vesper (Destroyer) Skipton, Yorks
HMS Wizard (Destroyer) Wood Green, London
©Royal Naval Museum Library, 2000
The information contained in this information sheet is correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the library for a bibliography of further reading materials, if available