The following are a small selection of titles on this subject. For information on the history of the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS), please see our information sheet and reading list on this subject.
• ADIE, K. Corsets to camouflage: women at war. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2003 ISBN 0340820594
• CORDINGLY, D. Women sailors and sailor’s women: an untold maritime history. New York: Random House, 2001 ISBN 0375758720
• CREIGHTON, M.S. & NORLING, L. Iron men, wooden women: gender and seafaring in the Atlantic world 1700-1920, London: John Hopkins University, 1996 ISBN 0801851602
• FOUNTAIN, N. Women at war. London: Michael O’Mara Books, 2002 ISBN 185479857X
• POORE, I. An admiral’s wife in the making, 1860-1903. London: Smith, Elder, 1917
• STARK, S. J. Female tars: women aboard ship in the age of sail. London: Constable, 1996. ISBN 0094762201
These books may be stocked by your local public library or may be made available through the inter-library lending service. Please enquire at your local branch.
If you wish to find out more about the collections and materials held in the Royal Naval Museum Library see the library web pages .